[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Fri Mar 5 04:38:06 CST 2010

Thanks. It looks like we're scanning different quadrants of the matrix I introduced earlier. This may be the source of the disagreement and a part of your frustration, so, as you said, we need to get data to continue a productive discussion.

It appears to me that you don't want to do this in the name of the Forum as a whole, so, let me ask our partners what they think about deprecating the mpif.h/mpi module, and introducing a backward incompatible mpi3 module that will make them recheck (possibly rewrite)/rebuild/revalidate/recertify their mission critical applications. I hope this will help us estimate the impact of the proposed actions, but this will take time. I gather, we may try to have our data collected and processed by the meeting in May.

Could you please consider to reciprocating this in "your" quadrant? Sure, if someone else wants to engage on this, you're welcome. We can discuss the details offline.

I don't think that I missed anything in my reply to Bill, but let me rescan his email and reply separately if need be.

For now, let me clarify my take on your 3 points - I did not go into them individually because I hoped that the general approach would cover them all. Apparently, it did not.

> 2. Saying that the mpi3 module is only for Fortran 2008 compilers is incorrect.  IIRC, the Open MPI prototype implementation of "use mpi3" has been usable with the Intel Fortran compiler since v10.something, for example (it's up to v11.1.something these days).

I'm afraid you miss my point. As soon as I just say "use mpi3" in an application that used "include mpif.h" or "use mpi" before, I have to recheck, possibly rewrite, rebuild, revalidate, and recertify my application on all OS, platforms, compilers even if I don't change anything else, including the compiler. This is a huge hit that seems to be ignored on this thread.

For comparison, it takes several years for a serious, mission critical ISV to just move to another MPI, without changing anything but the include path and the libraries underneath. You are suggesting to change the Fortran binding and dump the old one. Go figure how long and hard they will think about it.

These are not students who take half an hour to try out a different MPI and report success. That is what I'm trying to convey to you.

> 3. Painting a picture that only advanced / bleeding edge developers will be able to use mpi3 without major disruption is incorrect.  One of the reasons that the conversion functions exist is for exactly this purpose: you can extend legacy Fortran MPI applications with new MPI3 functionality.

I most respectfully disagree. If I have to use conversion functions in my old code, I have to basically rescan all of my application - several million lines of code. This means astronomic overhead. Even if I limit the include mpi3 to one part of the application, and continue with the mpif.h in the other, I have to verify they really work together. This is bad enough by itself, but how can I do the latter if the mpif.h is deprecated? I'm building my business on sand then. The backend overhead mentioned above comes on top.

> 4. Also, stating that you need to "use mpi3" globally throughout an application is incorrect.  As Bill pointed out earlier in this thread, in the scenario you raised, there's potentially only a small amount of new code that needs to use the mpi3 module.

I understand this. However, even if I change a tiny part of a mission critical application, full revalidation/recertification may be necessary, which takes months of calendar time and huge resources.

Let me try to make this more tangible. Next time you step on board an airplane, you tread on the results of the process I outlined. Next time you drive, you do the same. Next time you plug into the mains, you do the same. And so on.

I wish you a most pleasant ride to San Jose.