[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Thu Mar 4 15:09:43 CST 2010

Yes, I presume there will be some people like this.

Let me differentiate who we're talking about. There are developers/architects who will normally do anything to improve the program. I guess you may be referring to them. Now, there are also QA and PV people who will shoot any of that down on sight. Then there are ISO, CMMI, security, etc. cert people who will check boxes and not let anything out until all boxes are checked. Then there are project leads who listen to all those and from above. And finally there are managers who basically pay for all this.

As soon as anyone tells the latter they can't keep the schedule, it's the developers who get squeezed, and they know this. So, apart from the natural variation in character and mood, the developers will try to do as little as possible to get as much out as they will be allowed to. This is the sort of people who falls into the target group that may want "mpif.h/F77, NB collectives, and also _that_ thing". I think we should determine what "_that_ thing" they will want, and put it into the mpif.h/mpi module alongside the NB collectives.

That is, if the mpi3 module must be backward incompatible with the mpif.h/mpi module. Because if it won't, we'll have no problem to solve. [Running for cover.]