[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 12:21:52 CST 2010

On Mar 4 2010, Supalov, Alexander wrote:

> We can argue for ages here. I suggest that a more constructive way is to
> identify what parts of the MPI-3 may be of interest to the long time
> Fortran users who may not want or be able to move to Fortran 2008. NB
> collectives is a good starter. What else?

Most of the people I speak to are more interested in getting the advantages
of Fortran 2008 + TR than in using non-blocking collectives. Our experience
is that fully-synchronised collectives (i.e. preceded by barriers) are
rarely much slower, quite often significantly faster, and VASTLY easier to
debug.

> If we identify enough points of interest, and their addition to the
> mpif.h and the respective mpi module will be trivial, I reckon we'll do
> the standard and the user community a better service if we just extend
> both accordingly.

My guess is that will be limited to a few constants and similar.

> Those in the new app camp will "use mpi3". Those in the old camp (99%?)
> will include "mpif.h" or, if they please, "use mpi". And there will be
> peace.

I doubt it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.