[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 09:09:20 CST 2010

On Mar 4 2010, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:

>First I want to summarize, then I have a few questions:

I am not answering, but commenting.

>The new "use mpi3" includes all MPI routines.

Possibly with different names, where the types of the arguments have
changed.  What is planned for this?

>Inside the MPI library there may be significant differences,
>because with TYPE(*)
> - function overloading must be used to allow
>    -- non-array, and
>    -- array arguments,

Assumed-rank deals with this one.  It's not a problem.

> - the called C backend routine must handle array descriptors
>   instead of only a reference to the beginning of the array.

Yes, but there's a problem.  With the current TR's approach, you
cannot pass assumed-size arrays to MPI using the new interface.
That's going to be a BIG incompatibility, so MPI3 will need to
make both interfaces available.

>Based on this, the section MPI-2.2 page 482:39-484:18
>"Problems due to Data Copying and Sequence Association"
>is solved an can be removed.

Yes, but something will need to be said about the above problem.
Your last point is also relevant.

>--------------------------
>Question on handle arguments:
>
> - An application has produced an INTEGER COMM handle,
>   In a new routine, one wants to CALL MPI_IBCAST(...COMM).
>
>   How must this be programmed?
>   Will it cause a warning? Or an error at compile time?

With modules, the latter.  The best solution would be a pair of
conversion functions.

> - dt is generated with
>   MPI_TYPE_VECTOR(1,1,3,MPI_REAL,dt,ierror)
>
>   Now we call
>   REAL, DIMENSION(0:23) :: buf
>   CALL MPI_IRECV(buf(0:23:2),6,dt,....)
>   i.e., only with the elements 0,2,4,8,...,22.

That is going to need some VERY careful design!  I.e. my head hurts when
thinking of that one, too.

regards,
Nick Maclaren.