[MPI3 Fortran] What to do with mpif.h in MPI-3?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Jan 26 07:28:28 CST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Torsten Hoefler wrote:

> That doesn't matter, if it's not in the F77 standard then we can't have
> it in the F77 bindings.

I remembered 2 other things that bothered me about this statement:

1. In MPI-2.2:16.2.1, we say:

    "In the rest of this section, “Fortran” and “Fortran 90” shall refer
     to “Fortran 90” and its successors, unless qualified."

I haven't checked them all, but I would *hope* that all the places we explicitly mention "Fortran 77" in the document are within proper context and not globally scoped.

2. In the same section, we explicitly list what in MPI is incompatible with both Fortran 77 (including the 6 character thing that was already mentioned -- you couldn't even have MPI_SEND or MPI_INIT!) and Fortran 90.  Both lists are already non-empty.

I think this is a pretty strong statement that we do *not* need to be 100% compatible with the Fortran specification as it was 30+ years ago.

jsquyres at cisco.com