[MPI3 Fortran] Straw vote on integers kinds

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at newmexicoconsortium.org
Tue Sep 15 11:06:52 CDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Craig Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> No intent really.  It is just that the interface is not complete yet.
>> I'm not sure there is a need for real kinds so perhaps
>> MPI_DOUBLE_KIND
>> should be removed.  Jeff, any place for reals except in MPI users
>> defined types?
>>

> The only C double that is passed in the MPI interface is the return
> value from MPI_WTICK and MPI_WTIME.

So let's get rid of MPI_DOUBLE_KIND.  The compiler will do normal type
conversion for return values so we don't really have the same issue we
have with procedure arguments.

But what is the correct way to specify the result value?  I believe
DOUBLE PRECISION is frowned upon.  I haven't been on the committee
long enough to know the reason.

-craig