[MPI3 Fortran] Straw vote on integers kinds

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Mon Sep 14 15:01:51 CDT 2009

N.M. Maclaren wrote:
> On Sep 14 2009, Bill Long wrote:
>> Craig Rasmussen wrote:
>>>
>>> Please vote for one of the options.  ...
>>
>> I'm not convinced there is much real difference among these options.
>
> I agree, though for slightly different reasons.
>
> I think that all four are a mistake, because they are conflating all MPI
> integers into one.  I would use two names, one for integers that may scale
> with memory size and one where that would be overkill.

Note that the wiki page includes a proposed MPI_COUNT_KIND, which I
think is the integer kind that scales with memory size.  I assumed this
discussion was for integer arguments other than the ones for which
kind=MPI_COUNT_KIND is specified.  It would help if that were clarified,
especially if my assumption is wrong.  I agree with Nick that an
independent kind constant is needed for the size cases.

>>>    4. Specify a named kind in the Fortran interface (MPI_INT_KIND) but
>>>       allow the vendor a choice as to how to address integer promotion
>>>       if users use default integers in their codes. ...
>>
>> Again, I'm not really seeing the practical difference here.
>

>Why should it be promotion, anyway?  What if the default integer KIND is
>64-bit and MPI_INT_KIND is 32-bit?

Right. "promotion" is a poor term here. "conversion" would be better.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com