[MPI3 Fortran] WG mission statement / bullets

Iain Bason Iain.Bason at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 3 08:11:47 CDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 5:14 AM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> I haven't seen the mission statement for the same reason as Malcolm,
> but would favour MPI using Fortran default integers whereever they
> make sense.  Fortran's semantic specification of them is still useful
> in a way that C's isn't.

I believe that the idea behind using C int (or, more generally,
something like a MPI_DEFAULT_INT kind) was to allow people to build a
library that would work regardless of whether the application is
compiled with -i8.  As it stands, the MPI Fortran library has to be
compiled with -i8 if the application is.  If people use an explicit
kind for their integers, then one library can serve applications with
and without -i8.

There are, of course, other possible solutions to the problem.  Is
there one in particular that you favor?  Or do you think the problem
shouldn't be solved?

Iain