[MPI3 Fortran] WG mission statement / bullets

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at newmexicoconsortium.org
Wed Sep 2 11:54:28 CDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Lionel, Steve wrote:

> Overall, I think the mission statement is fine. I do have quibbles
> with some of the text further down on the page.
>
> "As procedures can be overloaded in Fortran, there could be both
> function and subroutine interfaces provided in MPI 3."
>
> This won't work - while you can overload procedures in Fortran, such
> overloads must be all subroutines or all functions - you cannot mix
> the two. In order to prevent errors, any new subroutine names must
> be distinct from existing MPI2 function names, including the generic
> name, if any, whether or not there are interfaces defined for the
> functions.

Yes, we've moved beyond that thought.  Would you like to clean it up
or should I?

> As I have stated earlier, it would be a big mistake to rely on
> default integer (or other) kinds.  The declarations need to specify
> the kind and this should be based on named constants in the MPI3
> module which take values from those in ISO_C_BINDING (C_INT).  The
> programmer would be encouraged to use the MPI kind values but not
> required to do so unless the default kind in their environment is a
> mismatch for what MPI is expecting.

I think this is currently the biggest bone of contention.  I'm going
to repost your statement so that we can open it up for discussion.
Then we should take a email poll on the subject.

Steve, Jeff has been yanking my chain to start writing.  You mentioned
that you would like to help.  Perhaps we could have a phone call when
Jeff gets back to discuss how it all should go.

-craig