[MPI3 Fortran] Fortran extra_state argument to MPIattributefunctions

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Thu May 28 12:17:13 CDT 2009

Besides the more formal methods mentioned by Aleks below, there is a
common programming style approach to solve this problem: put the
variable extra in a module.  The compiler has to assume that any
non-intrinsic procedure reference might access the module, and hence
access or modify the variable.  This technique generally avoids
performance hits  that might be associated with some others - in
particular, the VOLATILE attribute can shut down almost all optimization
for a variable.

I would note that this is a general problem when calling library
routines (typically written in C) that stash a copy of a pointer for
later use in a different routine. This is not isolated to MPI.  I
recently saw the same issue with the fftw package.  Using a module
solved that person's problem.