[MPI3 Fortran] Specify IN/OUT/INOUT in MPI spec?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu May 28 10:59:47 CDT 2009

So this is digressing off into two topics:

1. how to list the intent stuff
2. whether there should be distinct types for everything

I believe that Craig has some definite opinions on #2 (I confess that
I remember that such issues were discussed, but I don't remember the
outcome) -- it might even be the bind(c) stuff...?

All I want is #1 at the moment; I believe that #2 still needs to be
resolved.

On May 28, 2009, at 11:52 AM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> On May 28 2009, Lionel, Steve wrote:
>
> > Here's how I'd do it. I'm assuming that MPI_INT_KIND exists and I
> used
> > IMPORT from F2003 assuming that the types and kinds were defined
> > elsewhere in the same module. How this might be represented in the
> text
> > of the standard could vary.
> >
> >subroutine MPI_SEND(BUF, COUNT, DATATYPE, DEST, TAG, COMM, IERROR)
> >  import
> >  <type>, dimension(*), intent(IN) ::BUF
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND), intent(IN) :: COUNT
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND), intent(IN) :: DATATYPE
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND), intent(IN) :: DEST
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND),  intent(IN) :: TAG
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND),  intent(IN) :: COMM
> >  integer(MPI_INT_KIND),  intent(OUT) :: IERROR
> >  end subroutine MPI_SEND
>
> Please, no!  If we are going to use KIND, let it be done properly.
> There
> needs to be a set of KINDs, because you have at least three
> different uses
> of integers there.
>
> I would tend to split them into counts (i.e. COUNT), handles (i.e.
> DATATYPE
> and COMM) and smallish integers (i.e. DEST, TAG and IERROR).  But
> another
> division might be better.
>
> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren,
> University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QH, England.
> Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
> Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

Cisco Systems