[MPI3 Fortran] Specify IN/OUT/INOUT in MPI spec?

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 28 03:20:11 CDT 2009

On May 28 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:

>> I'll second that.  Intents are a good idea in general.  One caution:
>> One
>
>Hubert / Rolf / Craig -- do you guys agree that this is a Good Thing
>to do for MPI-3?

I'll also step in.  Yes.  INTENT is one of the non-controversial aspects,
with essentially no downsides, and Bill has warned about the worst "gotcha".

VALUE is a bit trickier, but not all that much - though it's less clearly
beneficial.

>> > We should also consider whether BIND(C) and other C
>> interoperability features should be used (especially the KIND values
>> from ISO_C_BINDING that correspond to C types.)

Grrk.  That is a lot trickier, but I agree that it needs considering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679