[MPI3 Fortran] MPI Data types

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu May 7 12:34:00 CDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> This brings up the struggle I brought before: why does Fortran need
> the (count, MPI_Datatype) tuple?  Because it's part of MPI, that's
> why -- it's the standard.

I let out an important piece of rationale here: part of the whole
reason to have MPI_Datatypes is to allow the MPI implementation to
optimize the memory layout map *once*, and then just use that
optimized map forevermore.  If you have no MPI_Datatype argument (that
is a handle to this optimized map), then you have to construct
datatypes (and optimize them) on the fly.  This has shown, in real-
world MPI codes, to be quite expensive (read: slow).

Cisco Systems