[MPI3 Fortran] Request for a straw vote.

Jim Xia jimxia at ca.ibm.com
Fri Jun 12 12:28:13 CDT 2009

mpi3-fortran-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org wrote on 06/12/2009 12:52:00 PM:

> However, there was an earlier discussion raised by Jim about how a
> compiler might want to copy-in/copy-out even if for assumed-shape
> arrays.  I think Jim's example had to do with copying vector sized
> objects even though the user is only using a portion of a vector.
>
> So does DIMENSION(..) restrict copy-in/copy-out?

I don't remember I raised discussion on this very topic, but this is a
valid argument.  In short, DIMENSION(..) alone will not restrict
copy-in/copy-out.  The most effective way to suppress copying is through
VOLATILE/ASYNCHRONOUS attribute on the dummy argument.

Thanks

Jim Xia

XL Fortran Compiler Test
IBM Toronto Lab at 8200 Warden Ave, Markham, On, L6G 1C7
Phone (905) 413-3444  Tie-line 313-3444
email: jimxia at ca.ibm.com
D2/YF7/8200 /MKM

http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/fortran/xlfortran