[MPI3 Fortran] Request for a straw vote.

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Thu Jun 11 13:53:35 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 12:17, Lionel, Steve wrote:

> see that extra_state is defined in the C interface as void*, so
> perhaps what is really wanted here is "TYPE(*),DIMENSION(..)",
What is the (Fortran) callback going to do with the TYPE(*) object?
First, the assumed-rank feature DIMENSION(..) makes things more complex
because it seems awfully hard to do anything useful to such an object
(our present draft says it can be used as an argument to C_LOC but I
have no idea what the intention is with respect to non-contiguous
objects).

Secondly, if the only choice one has is to use C_LOC/C_F_POINTER to get
a pointer to the object to make it useable, this still requires TARGET,
and makes things more complex to use than a plain TYPE(C_PTR) object,
without any apparent benefit?

> If C_PTR is to be used here then why not also
> for the BUF arguments?
Because it requires TARGET and interoperability. TARGET is completely
unnecessary, especially for the blocking calls (no address to the
argument is ever saved anywhere). Further, because it does not allow
for non-contiguous sections to be passed. It does not allow INTENTs to
be specified. Nor does it allow specifying other attributes (say
ASYNCHRONOUS). I am 100% convinced C_PTR is not the right answer.

> 6. Q: How should type and rank be specified for buffer choice
> arguments? A: TYPE(*), DIMENSION(..)

> To the best of my knowledge, use of this syntax does not stop
> copyin/out.
Correct, although that can be changed. The present philosophy is that
copy in/out is only disallowed in situations where it breaks something,
and it requires special annotation (e.g., a TARGET attribute on both
the dummy and actual). Just because something *can* in principle be
passed without copy does not mean copy is disallowed, nor, in fact,
that it won't happen (some compilers have switches for "always copy to
contiguous temps even if dummy is assumed-shape" since that may be
faster)

> 10. Q: Should specific Fortran interfaces be specified in the MPI-3
> standard?
>      A: Yes, this is preferable to use of <type> in the current
> standard.  While <type> is shorted, specific Fortran interfaces
> provide greater clarity for users.

> [sl] No, if what you mean is spelling out all the combinations of
> type and shape that can be used for a given routine.  That will be
> overwhelming and ultimately LESS clear.
I am with Steve but am also confused about what Craig meant.

> 12. Q: Is it an error if the user gives a non-contiguous buffer to a
> choice argument as it is for C?
>      A: Yes.
>      Unresolved issue:  Should the vendor be required to catch the
> error as always checking the argument is a performance issue.
>
> [sl] Yes, it is an error.
I am 100% confused. Surely with the present interface one can do:

CALL MPI_Send(buffer(1:10:2),...)

and the compiler will make a temporary contiguous copy and this is legal
and works and users use it???

Is it being proposed that this be illegal?

If you use DIMENSION(..) then it makes no sense to make it an error to
pass a non-contiguous section. Use DIMENSION(*) instead. But that still
allows non-contiguous actuals, only the compiler must make a copy.

>  I think it would be useful to include CONTIGUOUS in
> the list of attributes for arguments that must be contiguous.
CONTIGUOUS on a dummy does not mean the actual has to be contiguous. It
means the dummy is contiguous. If the actual is not, a copy is by the
compiler.

Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cims.nyu.edu/~donev/