[MPI3 Fortran] Request for a straw vote.

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Wed Jun 10 13:06:16 CDT 2009

Hubert Ritzdorf wrote:
> Craig Rasmussen wrote:
>

>> 4. Q: What should the name of the MPI-3 module be?
>>    A: MPI3 to distinguish it from the current MPI module.
>>    Unresolved Issue: A consensus was not reached on this question.  An
>> alternative is to use module names MPI2, MPI3, ..., as well as MPI.
>> If "USE MPI" is used, the MPI vendor will allow the module to be
>> chosen with a compile time option specifying the location of the MPI
>> module.
> I vote for MPI3 so that for the application programmer is clear which
> interfaces
> he is using.

If the choice is MPI3, then it is very easy for a user with the MPI
preference to write

   module mpi
     use mpi3
   end module mpi

and have his way.

On the other hand, if the user really wants distinct MPI and "new"
modules for some reason, then they are stuck if the "new" module is
named MPI.

So, I think naming the new module MPI3 provides the most flexibility.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com