[MPI3 Fortran] MPI Fortran bindings

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Jun 5 13:25:12 CDT 2009

On Jun 5, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Aleksandar Donev wrote:

> > The options for <type> would be TYPE(*) or something like
> > INTEGER combined with a directive to ignore the actual type.
> > <dimension> could be DIMENSION(*) combined with an ignore directive,
> > or DIMENSION(..).  For the non-blocking equivalent:
> Implementation dependent??? BLAH!
>
> That makes the bindings useless. It is impossible to write portable
> code, yet alone figure out what it means semantically.

I guess I'm a little confused.  The intent here is to provide a
parameter that any valid buffer can be passed through (probably not
expressions) -- something like C's (void*).  It is my understanding
that there is a standard way to do this, but not all compilers support
it yet.  Is that incorrect?

If that is correct, perhaps a better way would be to use *that* way
for the bindings and have a paragraph up front that says that if your
compiler doesn't yet support that specific form, then as long as the
intent is obeyed, it can be an implementation-dependent parameter type.

Cisco Systems