[MPI3 Fortran] Agenda for MPI3 Fortran Working group next week

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 11:07:03 CDT 2009

On Jun 4 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:

>Forgive me, but bringing ABI into this discussion is misleading at
>best.  :-)
>
>There is no ABI between fortran implementations without specific
>intent from the implementor.  For example, Open MPI and MPICH2 do not
>have any Fortran ABI compatibility.  One simple/obvious reason for
>this is that the integer constant values are different between the
>two.  ...
>
>In short: All MPI's use the same INTEGER handle type today because
>they have to, but that does *not* make them ABI compatible.

Yes.

I have used a good half-dozen MPIs, and none were ABI compatible.  Some
of them even had multiple ABI's, corresponding to major differences in
options (e.g. 64- versus 32-bit, but quite a lot more on some systems,
such as AIX).  And that applied as much to C as to Fortran.

Once one starts making radical changes, like replacing integer handles by
opaque types, trying to maintain ABI compatibility is a lost cause.  It
could be done transparently, but only in programs that always use USE MPI.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679