[MPI3 Fortran] Agenda for MPI3 Fortran Working group next week

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Thu Jun 4 10:11:54 CDT 2009

N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> That is a truly horrible hack!
What is a truly horrible hack? I am puzzled why you are soo inspired to
simply write emails that disagree without constructive things to offer
in return. I offered at least three options above, and they are all
different in subtle ways. ALLOCATABLE components are fundamentally
different from pointer ones, especially in regards to what they mean in
the context of "copy by value".

My sole point is that it needs to be specified---just saying "opaque"
derived type is insufficient in Fortran (I suspect also in C but I do
not know that language well-enough).

> I may have missed another, so
> please tell me if so.
I believe that what I am thinking of is a "pointer to an incomplete
type", but do not have my C book at home today to check. It smells like
void* but it is different in some subtle ways, which I likely do not
understand.

Best,
Aleks