[MPI3 Fortran] Agenda for MPI3 Fortran Working group next week

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Wed Jun 3 08:46:44 CDT 2009

As another of the "Fortran guys" I've proposed going even farther. But I
see Jeff's suggestions as a reasonable compromise.

On a full disclosure note, most of the "Fortran guys" participating in
this discussion are active in J3 - the body that writes the Fortran
standard, and is currently finishing Fortran 2008.  As such, we tend to
have a future-focused view of Fortran.  There are certainly many users
out there who are firmly planted in the (sometimes distant) past and
might have a different view.  Given that the task is to design an
interface for use in the future, I think meshing with the language in
the same time frame is the right approach.  As the "Fortran guys", we
can suggest what is possible and recommend.   But first, the MPI group
needs to decide which direction it's looking.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com