[MPI3 Fortran] Agenda for MPI3 Fortran Working group next week

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at newmexicoconsortium.org
Tue Jun 2 12:27:43 CDT 2009

Jeff and I have worked out a list of items we need to discuss for next
week.  The goal is to finalize things so that we can begin to put the
API down in LaTex documents.  Some of this issues are pretty much
resolved but we should go over them one more time.

1. Use of intent(IN/OUT/INOUT) for parameters.

These requires careful thought in some circumstances.  For example,
should the Send/Recv and Isend/Irecv data buffers all be INOUT to keep
the compiler for doing surprising things?

2. Review of new MPI derived types to be used, for example,
type(MPI_Comm).

3. How to handle MPI attributes and extra state variables.  This can
be done in a very Fortran way as it doesn't have to look the MPI C.

4. What should the name of the new module be.  We had discussed not
changing the name, i.e.,

      USE MPI

However, users will have to explicitly change their code to use the
new module so I don't see how we can get away with using the old
module name.

5. Review what integer kind should be used for things like tags.
We've previously decided to use default integer kinds except for
possibly for counts, in which case we would specify a specific kind,
MPI_COUNT.

Any other issues?  Please let me know and I'll add it to the agenda.

-craig