[MPI3 Fortran] (j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3896) [ukfortran] [MPI3 Fortran] MPI non-blocking transfers

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Mon Jan 26 16:31:33 CST 2009

N.M. Maclaren wrote:

>> (The other is that it incorrectly suggests that MPI calls
>> have something to do with I/O which is not the case (except for the
>> actual MPI I/O calls).)
>>

> As Aleks has told you, that is wrong.  Stream I/O to a FIFO is a form
> of I/O, and MPI point-to-point transfers and simply a form of that.
> That has been accepted, and all forms of such message passing referred
> to as I/O, since before any of us started computing.

Yes, but this is a concept from the days when MPI-like transfers
actually used the system's I/O hardware.  Today that is increasing
archaic and misleading.  Times change, and we should be willing to
change with them.  A good place to start is getting rid of outdated
terminology.  It helps people think more clearly about what is going
on.  [BTW, when I started computing the only I/O was cards, line
printers, paper tape, magnetic tape, and disks.]

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com