[MPI3 Fortran] MPI buffer arguments - void and call-by-reference

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 15 12:41:28 CST 2009

>The only one of those that ABSOLUTELY blocks copy-in/copy-out and the
>more-or-less equivalent optimisations is VOLATILE.  ASYNCHRONOUS does
>the least blocking, and is therefore the most efficient.

Ugh.  I have thought of a case where even VOLATILE doesn't block
copy-in/copy-out, but it's irrelevant to this debate.

I am also pretty sure that I can construct an example where TARGET
isn't enough to make MPI non-blocking transfers safe, but would need
to check that with the standard very carefully.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679