[MPI3 Fortran] Argument data sizes

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Thu Sep 18 13:02:51 CDT 2008

Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Let's also acknowledge that a significant "artificial constraint" is
> backwards compatibility for existing applications.  We can't just
> change all the C bindings to make the millions of lines of MPI code
> out there no longer be compilable.

I agree that backward compatibility is a good thing.  However, are not
the C bindings insulated from this?  If the new interface specifies
intptr_t  for the count argument, and the existing program supplies an
int (conforming to the old standard) the argument will be automatically
promoted in the caller.  I guess I don't see a problem there.

> Let's be fair -- *parallel programming* is hard.

Yes, certainly true.

> MPI fits some kinds of parallel program models very well; MPI is a bad
> match for other kinds of parallel program models.  The same can be
> said for all parallel programming systems.  I think the last 20+ years
> have shown that there is no one-size-fits-all for parallel programming.

After many years of attrition, the still standing parallel models seem
to be shared memory (OpenMP, which works for small numbers of
processors) and SPMD (overwhelmingly MPI, which scales to large
systems).  The hardest part of an SPMD program is designing the data
layout and synchronizing the processors.  For a Fortran programmer like
me, MPI is still an awkward way to express the resulting design.  But
that's the best option most people have at this point.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com