[MPI3 Fortran] Argument data sizes

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Sep 18 08:50:06 CDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Iain Bason wrote:

>> So it isn't that we need the count to be able to convey a huge
>> number, it's that the absence of an interface that accepts an 8
>> byte count makes it more difficult to write portable programs.

Yes, I understand that, but if MPI itself doesn't accept counts (and
other parameter values) larger than what can be represented by a C
int, what does allowing an INTEGER*8 in the MPI Fortran interface mean?

If it means that all MPI implementations now have to accept 8-byte
counts (etc.), there might be some resistance from the rest of the
Forum because it is a potentially large implementation change
(internal data structures have to change, wire protocols have to
change, which can lead to backwards compatibility issues, etc.).

Cisco Systems