[MPI3 Fortran] Teleconference Wednesday, Sept. 17: Summary

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Wed Sep 17 15:31:42 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 13:24, Bill Long wrote:
> Would it be reasonable for
> Fortran to use the same argument lists as C++, to avoid having yet a
> third set?
If Fortran's interface is based on C Interop (for example, it uses BIND(C),
C_INT, etc.), then it should follow the C interface, BUT, if a simplification
is possible (e.g., a dummy argument can be omitted or makes no sense in one
language), I don't see a problem with that. They are different languages,
after all. Some C interfaces simply cannot really be used from Fortran
without great contortions (e.g., anything accepting arrays of strings char**
or some such), and I see no reason why we cannot simply change the interface
to make it friendlier to Fortran.
Best,
Aleks