[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: Library-based ASYNCHRONOUS I/O and SYNC MEMORY]

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 9 13:04:53 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 10:33, Dan Nagle wrote:

> I can write perfectly portable Fortran using perfectly portable MPI
> that works perfectly well.
Using an ---ignore_tkr or --don't_optimize_procedure_a flag is NOT portable!
It is portable only because all vendors know MPI is important to support. It
is not legal Fortran, and has never been.

> It's been done for years.  If you want
> to stand on a technicality, calling *any* C procedure is a violation
> of the (pre-f03) Fortran standard.
I believe it is much more than a technicallity. An MPI standard littered with
sections labeled "Warning about Fortran ..." or "Incompatibility with Fortran
90..." sections hardly seems like a technical nit pick to me.

Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/donev