[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: Library-based ASYNCHRONOUS I/O and SYNC MEMORY]

Dan Nagle dannagle at verizon.net
Tue Sep 9 11:27:01 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Sep 9, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Iain Bason wrote:

> Clearly the MPI_IRECV/MPI_WAIT pair violates the Fortran standard.
> As such, it is not just surprising but impossible to document what
> happens with asynchronous modifications in a standards conforming
> program.

Yes, so how should the standard be changed
to advise the compiler and reader of the code
that something is going to happen to an actual argument
behind the scenes?

> I have to echo Jeff's question:  why isn't the human-readable
> documentation in the MPI standard sufficient for the applications
> writer and maintainer?

Because it's not in the source code?
How many times is RTFM the answer?
If you say "it's documented", how does the compiler know?
It's not so much that any existing compiler will take
any particular action with a better interface, it's more
that if nothing is in the source code, then all existing
and future compilers will never be able to do anything.

>  As for code checking tools, do you have an example of the kind of
> code checking you envision?

Something along the lines of Spark Ada.

--
Cheers!