[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: Library-based ASYNCHRONOUS I/O and SYNC MEMORY]

Dan Nagle dannagle at verizon.net
Tue Sep 9 07:19:53 CDT 2008

Hello,

Look, MPI works with Fortran, and it has for years.
There's no emergency.  We can take our time and
do things right to make the Fortran interface
to MPI routines easier to define, to maintain, and to use.

Doing so will also benefit Fortran interfaces to other
libraries where asynchronous modifications are expected,
and where procedures are expected to accept actual arguments
of any type, kind, rank.

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Iain Bason wrote:

> Can you come up with an example of this dual buffer usage where
> performance would actually require the kind of precise control
> you're talking about?

Personally (and others may differ), I believe the main issue
is to better document what happens with asynchronous modifications
to actual arguments after the initiating routine has returned.
Generally, this is surprising to a standards conforming program.

If a compiler (even one at some time in the future)
can use the information profitably, so much the better.
But the main issue, to me at least, is to document,
*in the program*, what is expected to happen.  Having this
information in the source file helps the applications writer,
the applications maintainer,  and any code checking tools
brought to bear.

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle