[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: Library-based ASYNCHRONOUS I/O and SYNC MEMORY]

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Mon Sep 8 11:59:56 CDT 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 09:29, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Or does noopt_begin() also disable array subset copies?
You have hit the nail here. These kinds of proposals always seem simpler at
first then they really are. You have to integrate then into the language so
they not only make sense but work with all the other language features. It is
not easy, and if you ask for too much you will get nothing (this is what
happened to interval arithmetic folks some time ago).
You are right that SYNC MEMORY is expensive, a big hammer, and one can do
better. But we did not do SYNC MEMORY(variable) for coarrays (or some similar
alternative) exactly because it was hard to figure out all the details in the
time and resources available.
Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/donev