[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: add TYPE(*) and DIMENSION(..) to Fortran]

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Fri Sep 5 14:20:44 CDT 2008

On Friday 05 September 2008 12:15, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> But there is the issue that if the compiler copies, will the temporary
> buffer match the MPI datatype that the user passed in?
It will match the type of the array. If that does not match the MPI_Datatype,
then the user made a mistake.

> I'm not sure I follow -- I see what the pass-thru Fortran wrapper
> would be; what's the other one that you're referring to?
If you have

type(*), dimension(..) :: buffer ! Latest syntax for assumed rank and type

then the descriptor will contain rank, type, size (specifically bounds), etc.
There is no need for the programmer to pass mpi datatypes or the size of the
buffer as they have to in the C binding. I am assuming Python bindings for
MPI are such modern beasts?

Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/donev