[MPI3 Fortran] [Fwd: Library-based ASYNCHRONOUS I/O and SYNC MEMORY]

Dan Nagle dannagle at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 13:08:39 CDT 2008

Hello,

On Sep 5, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Aleksandar Donev wrote:

> I am not sure what Craig has told you guys, and why there were no
> comments on
> this when I posted them on this list a while ago---the J3 meeting
> where these
> were discussed already passed and the ASYNC proposal was not
> accepted.  It was
> simply deemed too late to do this.

Some on J3 also viewed attaching ASYNCHRONOUS to anything other than
Fortran I/O as fundamentally the wrong approach.  This is not to say
that some attribute cannot be added to do something along these lines.
But mixing internal Fortran attributes with external libraries
has a lot of baggage from a standards point of view.

> We needed much more public support for
> this to get it in. It can be added at the international committee
> level (WG5)
> if another country (not the U.S.) proposes it. If you guys actually
> like
> this, and want to see it in Fortran 2008, action is required by a
> non-US
> member of the MPI Fortran working group.

If you want to do this, please understand the technical debate,
and have answers for the objections.

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle