[MPI3 Fortran] Proposing changes to Fortran 2008

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 20 12:47:29 CDT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 10:35, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> because the
> user application will have had to created an MPI datatype *at run
> time* that will have accurate offsets/types of each member.
Out of curiosity: Have you seen codes that actually do that?
What I would do, to make my life simple, is treated the whole scalar of
derived type as a blob of memory and ignored what fields are actually inside,
in what order, and with what padding. On homogeneous architectures doesn't
this work just fine?
Aleks