[MPI3 Fortran] What if Fortran is the primary interface?

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 18 09:41:49 CDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Aleksandar Donev wrote:

> On Monday 17 March 2008 14:40, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
>> Craig mentioned last week that if we have these opaque Fortran types
>> (with their contents unspecified), that we could be guaranteed that
>> their first member would be at the first byte of the instance.

Sorry, I don't recall saying that.  It's as Aleks says below, the
guarantee is that it will conform to the equivalent C struct for the
companion C compiler.  Is

       struct foo { int i; }

always equivalent to an int in C?  I think the C calling convention
treats them differently enough so that defining an MPI_HANDLE as a
user defined type (essentially a C struct) with one integer component
won't be guaranteed to work.  In that case, we need the typealias
Aleks so dearly wants :-)  That was before my time on the committee
so I don't have a horse in that race.

Cheers,
Craig