[MPI3 Fortran] What if Fortran is the primary interface?

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 17 16:29:16 CDT 2008

On Monday 17 March 2008 14:21, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> For
> ABI reasons, you are likely correct that we *will* need to mandate
> what is in the Fortran MPI_COMM.
Well, the first step is to mandate what MPI_COMM is, and then talk about what
it contains. You cannot leave it undefined as it is in the C bindings (I am
only familiar with MPI-2 bindings) and let the C headers actually say what it
is. In Fortran, you must say if it is a scalar or array, what type it is,
etc. Saying it is a derived type with private components is fine with me. But
that decision may impose massaging in a wrapper to get the guts of that
derived type container out of the container, on most implementations.
Thanks,
Aleks