[MPI3 Fortran] What if Fortran is the primary interface?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Mar 14 19:32:58 CDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:24 PM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:

> It appears to me that the current proposal basically intends to pass
> data thru to the presumably existing C implementation layer. How will
> this work for an implementation where the Fortran binding is a primary
> one?
>
> I believe that at least NEC has followed this route. I'm adding Hubert
> Ritzdorf, in case he's accidentally not involved into this discussion
> yet, to verify NEC's position.

I thought that NEC provided functions written in C that are callable
directly via Fortran.  The code in the C MPI_Send and the "Fortran"
MPI_SEND was essentially the same C code -- the point of the design
was the avoid a second function call from the Fortran API functions.

Do we really need to worry about [real] native Fortran MPI
implementations?

Cisco Systems