[MPI3 Fortran] Serial and Parallel Code

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Jun 3 20:31:17 CDT 2008

Greetings Carlos.  This list is not really for user-level questions
about MPI; it is a list for the MPI Forum itself to discuss Fortran
bindings for the upcoming MPI-3 standard.

You might want to google around for MPI tutorials and textbooks; there
are several out there that discuss exactly these kinds of issues.

Good luck.

On May 30, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Carlos Avila wrote:

> I have a sequential FE code composed of about 150 subroutines in
> FORTRAN, and I want to parallelize ONLY ONE of them the LINEAR SOLVER
>
> Would you please answer the following question?
>
> 1. Can I run sequential and parallel (combined) code in the same
> program?
> 2 If that is possible what kind of MPI commands or directives should
> be included in the sequential code to make it compatible with the
> parallel code.
> 3. The serial code is going to call only one PARALLEL SUBROUTINE
> (the solver), if I call MPI_INIT only in one subroutine, what happen
> with the variables of the serial code.
>
> Any response from you will be really valuable.
>
> My best regards,
>
> Carlos Avila

Cisco Systems