[MPI3 Fortran] Start discussing new Fortran binding

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Feb 13 16:35:32 CST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Craig E. Rasmussen wrote:

> ! I think we should provide better interfaces to command line
> arguments.
> ! It can be done through GET_COMMAND and GET_COMMAND_ARGUMENT.
> ! MPI_Init should be able to pass back something like modified C
> argc and
> argv arguments.
>
>    err = MPI_Init()

What do you mean?

I think that if an MPI implementation needs the argv, it can have its
own implementation of MPI_Init in Fortran that calls GET_COMMAND and
GET_COMMAND_ARGUMENT; the argc/argv arguments to MPI_INIT in C are
allowed be NULL,NULL.

> ! We need to figure out the type of MPI handles.
> ! Currently I'm leaning toward TYPE(C_PTR) rather than
> ! the INTEGER(MPI_HANDLE_KIND) Jeff and I used in our paper.

Will this be able to handle MPI implementations that use integers as
MPI handles in C?

Cisco Systems