[MPI3 Fortran] (j3.2006) (SC22WG5.3823) Please tell me I'm wrong

Jim Xia jimxia at ca.ibm.com
Wed Dec 17 10:56:20 CST 2008

Craig

If your message is a contiguous assumed-shape, then you can solve the
problem without Fortran committee's help by using a conversion function as
follows

function convertToRank1 (x, n) result (res)
   real, target, intent(inout) :: x(n)
   integer, intent(in) :: n

   real, pointer :: res(:)

   res => x
end function

The your subroutine can be rewritten as follows

subroutine test_recv (message)
    real, target :: message(:,:)  !<-- assume it is contiguous

    real, pointer :: remappedArray(:)

   remappedArray => convertToRank1(message, size(message))

   call MP_Recv (remappedArray, 2, MPI_INTEGER, 1, 1, MPI_COMM_WORLD,
MPI_STATUS_IGNORE)

end subroutine

That only solves the problem if the assumed-shape is contiguous.  In F03
we have bounds-remapping for pointers that converts (maps) rank one target
to multi-dimension arrays.  I think that can be used if your test_recv()
always expects a rank-one array assumed-shape dummy. You can map that
array into a rank-n array using data pointer assignment to match the
interface of MPI_Recv_wrapper, then you don't have the problems with
generic resolution issues.

Cheers,

Jim Xia

RL Fortran Compiler Test
IBM Toronto Lab at 8200 Warden Ave, Markham, On, L6G 1C7
Phone (905) 413-3444  Tie-line 313-3444
email: jimxia at ca.ibm.com
D2/YF7/8200 /MKM