[MPI3 Fortran] New information up on the wiki

Craig Rasmussen crasmussen at lanl.gov
Thu Dec 11 10:01:00 CST 2008

As we are meeting next week I thought I put some information out for
comment over the next couple of days.  There is a open ticket on
MPI-2-2 regarding the use of C varargs from Fortran.  From the ticket:

The following Fortran errorhandler callback subroutines are prototyped
with varags in the MPI 2.1 spec:

     * COMM_ERRHANDLER_FN
     * WIN_ERRHANDLER_FN
     * FILE_ERRHANDLER_FN

Fortran does not have variable length argument lists. This is quite
obviously a typo that dates back to MPI 2.0 but was missed in 2.1.

The suggestion is to remove the ",..." syntax from the Fortran 2.2
bindings as it is not part of Fortran.  This seems entirely reasonable
to me.

There is a move afoot to get interoperability with varags in the
Fortran C interoperability standard.  This is still up in the air at
the moment and we don't know which way it will go.

Comments?

Craig