[MPI3 Fortran] Summary of items on the table

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 28 15:45:55 CDT 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 13:29, Bill Long wrote:
> The problem is that the Fortran standard supports those semantics only
> for a Fortran pointer, not for a C pointer.
I will take the liberty to interpret the standard words "any pointer
associated with the dummy shall become associated with the actual" to apply
to C pointers as well. Otherwise TYPE(C_PTR) is useless. Of course one can
modify the object it points to through the pointer, in C. What else is there?
Maybe the standard is not super clear about it, but that's a different issue.
I believe the intent has been that the C standard describes that, no need to
repeat in the Fortran one.
Best,
Aleks