[MPI3 Fortran] Summary of items on the table

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 28 15:20:57 CDT 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 12:49, Lionel, Steve wrote:

> My personal preference is for choice 4, the IGNORE attribute (the
> specific spelling can be debated...
> There seems to be strong sentiment with some
> against such a thing, which I don't fully understand.
Steve, I will throw this one back at you. I asked earlier, but never got a
response:

What happens if the dummy (with the IGNORE attribute) is declared as
INTEGER(4), and things are performed inside that the standard defines only
for 4-byte integers (e.g., some bit packing operation). Then, the routine is
called with a REAL(8) array? What if the array is of a derived type of size 1
byte?

What specifically will Intel Fortran do? Compile and give results that make no
sense? If so, the standard must have *specific* restrictions on what the
actual is allowed to be, and what it means. Only illegal cases can be left
without a meaning.

What does Cray do?

If the routine is written in C and has a void* argument, I understand how it
works. But I do not understand how it works if "everything is written in
Fortran".

Best,
Aleks