[mpiwg-coll] persistent blocking collectives

Langer, Akhil akhil.langer at intel.com
Wed May 17 16:29:31 CDT 2017

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your reply. As you suggested, we could add a MPI_Start_and_wait() call that is a blocking version of MPI_Start call. It could be used both for pt2pt and collective operations, without any additional changes.

I have noticed tangible performance difference in broadcast collective performance between the two implementations that I provided in my original email. Most of the real HPC applications still use only blocking collectives so having a blocking MPI_Start (that is, MPI_Start_and_wait) call for collectives is natural. The user can simply replace the blocking collective call with MPI_Start_and_wait call.
We have also seen that blocking sends/recvs are faster than the corresponding non-blocking calls.

Please let me know what kind of information would be useful to make this succeed. I can work on this.

Thanks,
Akhil