[mpi3-coll] Ticket 170, comment 9, both items

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Jul 15 17:31:55 CDT 2012

Torsten,

please comment on ticket 170 why the sentence

 The routine is called by all group members using
 the same arguments for count, datatype, op and comm.

should be wrong for MPI_SCAN and MPI_EXSCAN
while this sentence is true
for MPI_REDUCE and MPI_ALLREDUCE.

Without details, I would expect that this ticket 170 item
is absolutely correct and should be done as a ticket 0
change to clarify which rules are valid for the scan routines.
All other reductions are clear about this.

I do not expect that you want to allow that one
process uses MPI_FLOAT, another MPI_DOUBLE and both use MPI_SUM.
I'm not sure wether current text does not allow this.
Therefore clarifying wording is needed.

I would like to see the arguments and proposals in the comments to #170,
rather than only discussion at the meeting.

Best regards
Rolf