[mpi3-coll] Telecon to discuss DV-collectives (Alltoalldv)

Adam T. Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 13 12:55:47 CDT 2011

A couple more things...

In Santorini, Rich brought up a couple of concerns that should be
considered.  For one, he suggested that a slightly more general
interface might be better in which you specify a base count for all
processes, and then provide a list for processes that are different than
that count.  This could subsume the interface I listed below if you set
the base count to be 0 and then list each non-zero item.  The nice thing
about the base count approach is that it nicely handles the "mostly
regular" case, in which nearly all procs have the same amount of data
but only a few have a little more or a little less.  For example, this
interface might look something like the following (added basecount and
removed displacements which need some thought here):

MPI_Alltoalldv(
  sendbuf, sbasecount, nsends, sendranks[], sendcounts[], sendtype, /*
O(sbasecount*P + k) list */
  recvbuf, rbasecount, nrecvs, recvranks[], recvcounts[], rectype, /*
O(rbasecount*P + k) list */
  comm
);

In the above, you would send/receive basecount data items from all
procs, except for a few ranks, whose counts are listed explicitly in
O(k) lists.  Setting sbasecount/rbasecount=0 essentially reduces this
interface to the one below (ignoring displacements).

The other thing Rich was concerned about was whether an interface could
be specified in such a way to reduce communication of the distributed
count values.  One extension that might help here is to allow the
application to provide minimum and maximum count values that would apply
globally across all processes.  For example, with a maximum count value
in gatherdv, you could set up a tree expecting the maxcount from all
children but just receive less during each step.  On the otherhand, if
the min and max values are far apart, the implementation might fall back
to something more dynamic so it doesn't allocate a bunch of temporary
memory that it'll never use.  If an application can't specify minimum or
maximum values, it could always pass MPI_UNDEFINED for the min/max values.
-Adam