[mpi3-coll] Nonblocking collectives standard draft

Torsten Hoefler htor at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Nov 25 12:44:45 CST 2008

Hi Christian,
> >>I did a second reading and found several but only minor issues with the
> >>text. If you send me the TeX sources, I can send you my proposed
> >>corrections/improvements directly as a patch file (diff).
> >I will send it via mail.
> thanks - I got it. Attached is the patch file with my proposed changes.
ok, I applied most of it manually. Your last code patch had a mistake
in it ;).

> >>- p. 49 l. 41: MPI has the concept of error handlers. I don't see a
> >>reason why we should forbid ("return an error code") its usage. My
> >>suggestion is to simply delete the two sentences (from "If the call ..."
> >>to "... cases.").
> >This is actually consistent with MPI-2.1 p 48:17. I would agree to omit
> >the "return an error code", but since it's already written in this style
> >for point-to-point, we should keep it consistent.
> Maybe - however, p 264 l 23 states "The above text takes precedence over
> any text on error handling within this document.". So the better
> alternative might be to remove these two sentences also from the p2p
> chapter instead of wrongly including it into the new nbc chapter.
yes and no. Your cited text just says that MPI doesn not have to handle
all errors. It says nothing about return codes of functions besides that
functions don't have to return an error, and if, then they should raise
an exception too. But I agree, that we could just fix it in the
point-to-point chapter. But it has to be consistent.

The new version is attached to the wiki [1] and at:

http://www.unixer.de/sec/nbc-proposal-11-25-2008.pdf

Best,
  Torsten

[1]: https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/attachment/wiki/NBColl/

--
Torsten Hoefler       | Postdoctoral Researcher