[mpiwg-abi] MPI-5 ABI proposal

Martin Schulz schulzm at in.tum.de
Tue Jan 24 12:37:30 CST 2023

Hi all,

Regarding the version call: we also have the MPI_Get_library_version call, which has a similar intention. In fact, it is intended to be more strict than just the same ABI. Perhaps that is sufficient for the purpose here.

Martin

Member of the Board of Directors at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (LRZ)
Email: schulzm at in.tum.de

On 24.01.23, 17:53, "mpiwg-abi on behalf of Christoph Niethammer" <mpiwg-abi-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org <mailto:mpiwg-abi-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org> on behalf of niethammer at hlrs.de <mailto:niethammer at hlrs.de>> wrote:

Hi Dan, Heff,

I am not sure if I like the idea of having another possible header file for *library-only* backward compatibility.
>From a software installation perspective this looks like a nightmare to me to maintain in parallel. We are just getting rid of one header in Fortran currently. ;)

Regarding the issue Dan brought up:
I think it would be good to have at least a chance to check if MPI library and MPI header fit together.
One idea here would be to introduce a library routine "MPI_Abi_version()" that returns the API version
and having a macro constant MPI_ABI_VERSION in the header, that can be compared.

This will work for applications or a tool to test if the library is build against the same ABI.
However, it will not help a library to detect if an application was build with the matching MPI header. :/

Best,
Christoph