[Mpi3-subsetting] Subsetting slides for F2F meeting: please comment by EOD March 6, 2008

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Thu Mar 6 11:24:01 CST 2008

Wiki updated accordingly.

________________________________

From: Supalov, Alexander
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:17 PM
To: 'MPI 3.0 Sub-setting working group'
Subject: RE: [Mpi3-subsetting] Subsetting slides for F2F meeting: please
comment by EOD March 6, 2008

Thanks. Details inside.

________________________________

From: mpi3-subsetting-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi3-subsetting-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of
Richard Graham
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:57 PM
To: MPI 3.0 Sub-setting working group
comment by EOD March 6, 2008

Thanks a lot for taking on the task of herding cats.

Here are some comments:
  - Growing complexity does not have to mean worse performance.  It
really depends
   on where the complexity resides.
I'll restore "may" here.
  - We have not at all agreed to formal recognition of optional parts of
the standard.
   As a matter of fact, on the call there were more opinions expressed
in favor of
   use of a subset in a certain instant, not optional sections.  We may
at the end conclude
   that for some features optional is the best way, but have not gone
there yet.
OK, I'll turn this into suggestion or drop it.
  - Optimization potential:  don't get into too much detail.  I am not
convinced that all
     that is listed there is actually correct - implementation can do
(and do) a lot to
     eliminate some of the things listed in the bulleted list.
 I'll consider this.
  - What did you have in mind with "mutually incompatible families" ?
Several stable combinations of subsets may emerge that will cover
different application areas well, but they (the subsets) will be
mutually incompatible between each other.

Rich

On 3/6/08 10:27 AM, "Supalov, Alexander" <alexander.supalov_at_[hidden]>