[Mpi3-subsetting] Subsetting slides for F2F meeting: please comment by EOD March 6, 2008

Richard Graham rlgraham at [hidden]
Thu Mar 6 09:56:31 CST 2008

Thanks a lot for taking on the task of herding cats.

Here are some comments:
  - Growing complexity does not have to mean worse performance.  It really
depends
   on where the complexity resides.
  - We have not at all agreed to formal recognition of optional parts of the
standard.
   As a matter of fact, on the call there were more opinions expressed in
favor of
   use of a subset in a certain instant, not optional sections.  We may at
the end conclude
   that for some features optional is the best way, but have not gone there
yet.
  - Optimization potential:  don¹t get into too much detail.  I am not
convinced that all
     that is listed there is actually correct ­ implementation can do (and
do) a lot to
     eliminate some of the things listed in the bulleted list.
  - What did you have in mind with ³mutually incompatible families² ?

Rich

*