[Mpi3-subsetting] MPI3: Proposal to remove PMPI-Requirement

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Wed Mar 5 15:03:44 CST 2008

Hi,

Thanks. Interesting. I wonder in what relation this will stand with the
ABI activity.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi3-subsetting-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi3-subsetting-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Rainer
Keller
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:15 PM
To: MPI3-Subsetting_at_[hidden]
Subject: [Mpi3-subsetting] MPI3: Proposal to remove PMPI-Requirement

Dear Alexander, dear all,
at the previous Chicago meeting, some of us (Rich Graham, Jeff Squyres,
Hubert
Ritzdorf) have been discussing about the MPI-Standard's requirement to
provide PMPI-functions for each MPI-Call into the library (except
MPI_Wtime,
MPI_Wtick).

This is in my eyes a limitation: there could be some gains for the
common case
of large-scale applications:
 - Not using PMPI-based tools (dynamically loaded in)
 - Not using MPI_PROC_NULL
 - Not using MPI_STATUS_IGNORE

So, if this proposal would fit Your definition of MPI3-Subsets, I would
like
to discuss the removal of the PMPI-function requirement, allowing
inlining of
MPI-functions and, based on that, pre-processor hints, e.g.
MPI_HINT_NO_THREADS or MPI_HINT_NO_ANY_SOURCE, so the compiler might be
able
to eliminate several if-statements in the fast-path, allowing inlining,
allowing dead code elimination.
(of course, there is a whole lot of further issues involved, here --
please
see the last section in the document).

I have included some timings with NetPipe on Open MPI using these hints
(further information section 4 -- Ompi Patch availble upon request, as
its
work in progress). Please take the timings with a grain of salt. I would
like
to get better figures on a more well-defined cluster environment.

Any comments would be welcome.

With best regards,
Rainer

Dipl.-Inf. Rainer Keller   http://www.hlrs.de/people/keller
 HLRS                          Tel: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5858
 Nobelstrasse 19                  Fax: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5832
 70550 Stuttgart                    email: keller_at_[hidden]
 Germany                             AIM/Skype:rusraink
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052